Monday, July 8, 2013

Independence

The Fourth of July was the first day last week that I really had somewhere to go. My brother and sister-in-law had a cookout and party at their house, which I hit up first. They set up a slip-n-slide in the backyard. Nalon and Holden were all over that.


I left that party to go to the YSA cookout at my friend Crystal's. We had more food and played some very messy sand volleyball. It had rained right before we played, so the sand stuck to everything - ball, skin, and clothes. Afterwards, we went downtown to watch the fireworks, which if I must say, were a bit lackluster for my taste. I've seen some much better shows in Utah - they know how to do fireworks and they do them all summer long!

Ron took a picture for us, though he had to take a picture of himself first. I'm not sure why he thinks that face is attractive.

We came unprepared without chairs, but the ground wasn't too hard. Crystal and I made new friends with Carolyn and Rebecca. They were new to me, at least. Maybe they moved in while I was gone.


The next morning, Tessa and the kids packed up the van and left for Myrtle Beach, SC. While I could definitely get behind the idea of being at the beach for a week, I was not jealous of them having to be in the car for twelve hours, especially when that trip includes kids. I love those kids for sure, but I'm not about to sign up to spend a full day trapped in a car with them.

And just for good measure, here's my most recent favorite quote on the subject of independence:

"In fact, independence, real freedom, is best exhibited and experienced by always choosing the right." -Elder Keith K. Hilbig

I know I have felt strongest and the most free when I have done what I know is right, even when it was hard or unpopular. I'm grateful for the inspired founders of our nation who gave me the right to follow my conscience and the selfless soldiers who allow me to keep it.



No comments:

Post a Comment