Sunday, March 18, 2012

If you'll remember, number 8 on my Utah Bucket List was snowshoeing. I enlisted my roommate Whitney's help and we made it into a double set-up date. I invited my friend Derrick to be her date and she invited Alex, our home teacher, to be my date. We were a little nervous that we wouldn't find any snow since we've had such a mild winter, but once we got far enough up into the canyon we did ok.

We rented the snowshoes from BYU's Outdoors Unlimited and headed up to Big Springs Park in Provo Canyon. It wasn't super crowded, because, well, it was cold and windy. Who wants to be outside when it's cold and windy? Apparently we do. They all mocked me because I didn't have snow pants. I was perfectly warm and dry in my jeans, though. Joke's on them.

It was a little bit hard to get used to the snowshoes but after a few steps, I was hooked. I LOVED them. They're super easy to walk in - not at all what I'd imagined. I'll confess, earlier in the day I was dreading going because I thought it was going to be really hard and I'm a tad bit on the lazy side. It wasn't hard at all, though. And my favorite part was that you can just walk whereever the heck you want - snow, ice, dirt, gravel - and you won't slip or lose your footing. There are these little ice pick things on the bottom that just grab onto anything you step on and hold you firm. That was the most fun for me.

Since we were sure-footed, we didn't even have to stay on a path. In our explorations, we happened upon this fort which was immaculately built. There was also a little treasure chest which Alex had no problem opening. The treasures were quite valuable: wrappers and some corn nuts...and that's all I can remember.

The fort really was impressive. I can only assume that it was built either by some creative scouts on a hike or one very dedicated hobo who needed some protection from wind and predators. I salute the builder, whoever he was, for his fine craftmanship.

That's me in the doorway.

The fort from the outside.



Utah is gorgeous.


My conclusion: snowshoeing is awesome. I'm sad I didn't discover it sooner.

4 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! You can rent snow shoes at Aspen Grove really cheap too and they have lots of cool places to explore. You should try cross country skiing there. It's super-duper fun. Thomas and I went 4 or 5 years in a row at Aspen Grove and loved it. Do that too. Ok! That fort thing was amazing too. I wonder what that was all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also went snowshoeing for the first time a few weeks ago, and I too was pleasantly surprised! I think I liked it better than just regular hiking. Pretty pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture of you in the doorway of the "fort". :)

    ReplyDelete