Wednesday, February 1, 2012

One of my New Year's resolutions was to write and complete a Utah Bucket List - things I wanted to see or do before I leave Utah.

I don't have very long left or very much money. So even though I'd like to go back to southern Utah and visit more of the amazing national parks there, I had to count southern Utah out of my list. It's just not realistic. So I took suggestions from friends, did a little research of my own, and this is what I came up with.






1. Sundance Film Festival. I actually accomplished this one this past weekend! In all honesty, it wasn't that exciting. I saw no one famous, and we didn't see any movies. That probably would've been better. It was the first time I'd been down Main Street in Park City, though, and that was cool, except that I felt like my face was going to freeze off.

2. Antelope Island. I've heard this offers the best views of the Great Salt Lake, as well as some bison and other wildlife.

3. Salt Flats. I still don't exactly understand what they are, but I hear it's beautiful, and I like beautiful things.

4. The Roof Restaurant. Stunning views of Salt Lake City and good food.

5. Hike Mt. Timpanogos and go to Timpanogos Caves. In all honesty, this one scares the crap out of me. But I'm planning to do it in May, when it's a bit warmer, and I'll have just run a half marathon. I'll be in better shape so I should be able to survive it, right? Right?

6. Hot Springs. I can't recall ever going to natural hot springs but I hear there are some great ones around here. Any suggestions for which one is the best?

7. Alpine coaster and slide at Park City. I love the Olympics, so I'm super excited to go up to Park City and see what's left over from the 2002 games. I'm also excited that this year is the 10-year anniversary so they're having lots of commemorative events.

8. Snowshoeing. I'm not a huge winter sports fan. I've been skiing and hated it, so I don't want to go snowboarding. Snowshoeing sounds doable, though. I'd also love to go snowmobiling. Anyone have a snowmobile they want to take me on?

Ok, that's my list. Anything else you know of that I just must see or do within an hour or two of Provo?

4 comments:

  1. Antelope Island: I went there a lot when I was younger, and I don't really remember it having very much to do, but it's a nice view, I suppose. (It is fun/disgusting to go in the summer and float in the GSL out there, though.) But if you have to choose between that and the Salt Flats, I'd choose the Salt Flats. Pack a great lunch, take friends, and go. It just looks like ice and snow, only it's salt. And you get salty walking around in it. It IS really pretty though.

    I want to hike Timp with you. And also run a half marathon again this summer. Maybe not in May though, since I'll be cheering you on right about then.

    Hot Springs: I went to some a few years ago with Mitch & co. and I think they were up Spanish Fork canyon? It was fun. The hike up isn't bad, but the hike back can be interesting due to your wetness. :) Mitch had a pink backpack on though, so I didn't really notice my discomfort. Also, sometimes people forget to wear clothes up there, but that wasn't my experience; just a rumor maybe.

    Alpine Slide and Showshoeing: can I come with? Okay thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dee- Bahaha we had fun making fun of Mitch and pink backpack and riding in the back of the jeep! Good times

    Snowshoeing is great... But exhausting and difficult. Take really fun friends! Your list sounds awesome! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE! I think it's fun too that I've done most of your list. It makes me feel better about living in Utah for so long! At least I've enjoyed it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your Utah list, some of them I should do too. Not that I am leaving Utah anytime soon, heck I rarely leave my ward boundries. I will skip the snow shoeing, but join you at the Roof and the Salt Flats. :)

    ReplyDelete