Tuesday, April 19, 2011

whistling

I've never been able to whistle very well. I can get out a whistle sound, but I can't really whistle a tune. On my mission, my friend Jaime tried to teach me how to whistle and I used to practice every day. I started to get a little better, but I've since fallen out of practice. We'll just add that to the list of things I would be able to do better if I'd only practiced. Piano's the big one on that list. Anyway.

Today, I can whistle. Because it's finals week.

I'll elaborate.

It's finals week and graduation week. My mom comes into town on Thursday but before that, I've got a presentation to make, a play to perform, and a paper to write. That's not counting the test I took this morning or the portfolio I spent 10 hours making. And I'm supposed to work 20 hours by the end of Thursday. It's a busy week. So naturally, I'm sick. I really feel like this always happens to me during finals week, except I think maybe it's only happened one other time.

But never fear, I started getting sneezy Saturday afternoon and have since gone through lots of stuffiness, sore throat, achiness, and fatigue. I'm actually feeling a lot better today, but the mucus is still ever-present.

Back to the whistling. Have you ever used nasal spray? It's a miracle. Seriously. Last night both nostrils were completely blocked- I'm talking no air in or out. I just sniffed up some of the spray and bam. Clear passageways in five minutes. It blows my mind every time. You're only supposed to use it every 12 hours, though, and I try to limit my use of it because apparently it's bad if you become dependent on it. I didn't use it this morning and I'm suffering.

Correction: I'm whistling. It's not a complete roadblock yet but there's some debris there. And every time I breathe, I whistle. Maybe if I hum while breathing, I can turn it into a tune.

1 comment: