Thursday, February 17, 2011

musings

I should be studying for a phonetics test right now. So instead, I'll blog.

1. Tonight, my good friends Angela, Aubrey, Jaime, and I are heading to St. George/Mesquite/Las Vegas for the long weekend. I'm pumped. Our original plan was to go to LA because I've never been to California. And our original plan included DeeAura. But DeeAura had some family stuff going on this weekend so she couldn't come. And we were going to stay at her dad's house. So we didn't have anywhere to stay. Apparently the entire western half of the country will have rain this weekend (including SoCal). So instead of driving 9 hours, paying for a hotel, and enjoying a nice rain shower, we decided to drive 4 hours, stay in a house for free, and enjoy a nice rain shower. Cut your losses I guess. (I don't actually know what that phrase means). Anyway, I'm still really excited! I don't have to go back to work for 5 days (which is probably the greatest thing that could ever happen to me right now) and I get to spend the weekend with a few of my best girls! Hopefully we'll get at least a little bit of sunshine.

2. Yesterday morning I went running. I almost died, but that's besides the point. What is the point is that when I went running at 11 am, it was sunny and 55 degrees. Then last night about 8:30, it snowed. Yeah. There's a reason why Mother Nature is female- I don't think a guy could change his mind that fast.
.
3. Sometimes even when life is going really well and you're doing exactly what you should be doing, it's still really hard. I guess it's growing pains. It just sucks when doing the right thing means giving up other really good things. It's at this point that an eternal perspective is helpful. Even though we have to give up good things to do the right thing sometimes, the greatest things will be part of the reward our Heavenly Father has waiting for us if we trust Him and do His will. It will all be worth it in the end. One of my favorite quotes is by Brigham Young. I can't remember the wording exactly, and I don't have my notes with me, but he essentially says that everything that we go through in our lives is necessary for our salvation. God doesn't do things just for fun. There's always something to learn, feel, or experience; it's all part of the divine design.

4. I'm really grateful for the opportunity to learn Spanish on my mission and it has blessed my life in a lot of ways. But sometimes at work, I get really sick of speaking Spanish. It requires thought and I just like sometimes to not have to think about every word that comes out of my mouth. Or every word that comes out of the mouth of the person I'm talking to, who I can barely even hear anyway. But that's fine.

5. I have lost my ability to wake up before 6:30. I am physically unable to do it. And if I try, I feel it all day long, no matter what time I go to bed.

3 comments:

  1. Driving 4 hours is always better than driving 9 hours. I am sorry though that you won't be seeing California tonight.
    I wish I had a job that made me speak Italian. I miss it.
    Have a good and safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaley...I wish I had the gift to verbalize exactly how purely phenomenal I think you are.

    1. I'm still crying about not going. Just so you know.
    2. I went running when it started to rain a little yesterday and it smelled SO good. Also, your mother nature comment made me guffaw. At work. Out loud.
    3. I hate this and love this at the same time. And I'm better at dealing with it at some times than other times. I think I have that quote somewhere. I should read it again.
    4. Yeah, I can't relate to that because I don't speak Spanish.
    5. I think it's this weather/time of year. I'm having the same problem, only it's with 7 a.m. I'm a bigger wuss. Does this make you feel better?

    I don't know why I needed to respond to everything today. But whatever. There you go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BAHAHAHAHA your mother nature comment is quite possibly the funniest thing I have read all week.

    ReplyDelete