Monday, January 31, 2011

Four Years

Today is January 31, 2011. It's my husband Justin Timberlake's 30th birthday, but I won't focus on that. Four year ago today, I entered the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah, embarking on the most challenging and most rewarding 19 months of my life. To say I was nervous is an understatement. I was terrified. But I was determined to serve the Lord and the people of Argentina the very best I could. (I was also really chunky. But you can just ignore that.)

My mom, my cousins Lindsay and Melissa, and Melissa's husband Thomas all came with me to the MTC. I was fine until they played the "Called to Serve" movie then made us say goodbye. I cried as I said goodbye to my mom, but they say goodbyes are easier when they're quick so I didn't linger too long. I said bye, then tried to dry my tears as fast as I could as I moved on to checking in.

That first day, I don't remember much, but I remember meeting my roommate Hermana Tyhurst first, then Hermana Van Wagenen, then finally my companion Hermana Zogmaister. When Hermana Tyhurst and I first got to our room, we looked at our companions' names and decided we somehow got stuck with the two sisters with the hardest names in the whole MTC. Fortunately, we also got blessed with two of the most spiritual and definitely most fun sisters in the whole MTC. When I saw Hermana Zogmaister for the first time, I looked at her nametag, figured there couldn't be too many missionaries with that kind of name, and yelled, maybe a little too enthusiastically, "You're my companion!!!" I'm pretty sure I scared her. I'm also pretty sure she judged me that day. Lucky for us, we both calmed down and we had an amazing MTC experience together. I'm so grateful that she's been my best friend for four years.


I remember seeing a friend from my BYU ward at dinner that night. I remember meeting our branch president. And I remember being extremely overwhelmed. But I also remember feeling the love of my Savior and my Heavenly Father and the sweet peace that came from knowing I was doing the right thing. The MTC was at the same time fabulous and frustrating. I was filled with the Spirit and with anxiety (though not usually at the same time, but pretty closely intermixed). But I wouldn't trade it for anything. And in the four years since, I have become a different person. I'm not the spiritual giant I imagined I would be; I'm not married; I don't have kids; I'm not even graduated. But I am better for having served a mission.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Justin Timberlake!

    And happy anniversary, Kaley! I can't believe it was 4 years ago that you followed your lover (Russ) to Argentina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I'm sure that going into the MTC must've been terrifying! I'd love to see a post about what you did as a missionary besides the obvious things like proscelyting (or however you spell it) and whatnot.

    Also, Happy 30th to your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love JT. And I love you. And I love what you said at the end...because I think you're pretty DANG incredible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Glad you went on a mission too. Glad I get to know you! When are you coming to see us? I haven't seen you or Jaime in way too long! Farkle time!!! What do you say? I'll even talk Joey into making us cookies!! You can't say no, can you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mission thoughts! Love the MTC! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so it did scare me a little.... and I did judge you. But people can change, right? :) And I'll add that you are better for having served. I got to see that whole process. I'd agree with Dee, you're pretty incredible. Glad we're friends!

    ReplyDelete