Friday, September 24, 2010

Masaman and The Book of Mormon

Two very important things happened this week:

I tried Masaman curry for the first time.
And I read Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk about The Book of Mormon. Read it here.Let's start with the Masaman. Monday was my good friend Aubrey Shuler's birthday. I'm sorry that I don't have a picture to share from that night. My camera's batteries are having trouble working. But she was radiant. We went to Thai Ruby in Provo. Oh. My. Gosh. It was abso-freakin-lutely delicious. I've never had Thai food before, so I asked Aubrey (well, both Aubreys, really) if I should get Cashew Chicken or Masaman Curry. They both said Masaman without a doubt. So I trusted their advice. Best decision of my life. I was full about halfway through, and I ate the whole thing. Couldn't stop. If you've never had it, go get it. Today. Right now. You won't regret it.

The next day, I was reading the Ensign from November 2009. I try to read a talk a day. I'm hoping to get caught up some day. My progress is slow. Anyway...that day I read the talk "Safety for the Soul," by Elder Holland. I listened to the talk when he gave it, and I've read it since. Not to mention this talk seems to be like the pop favorite. Everyone talks about it. But I didn't remember being that impressed. I mean, it was fabulous; Elder Holland is always fabulous. I just didn't have the same reaction everyone else did. Well, I'm apparently slow, because it rocked my socks off. His testimony of The Book of Mormon is so strong. One part really stood out to me:

"Now, I did not sail with the brother of Jared in crossing an ocean, settling in a new world. I did not hear King Benjamin speak his angelically delivered sermon. I did not proselyte with Alma and Amulek nor witness the fiery death of innocent believers. I was not among the Nephite crowd who touched the wounds of the resurrected Lord, nor did I weep with Mormon and Moroni over the destruction of an entire civilization. But my testimony of this record and the peace it brings to the human heart is as binding and unequivocal as was theirs."

When I was reading that, I felt so overwhelmingly sure of the same thing! I, too, know that The Book of Mormon is true! I may not be an apostle, but I know that everything in that book is true and that Joseph Smith was who he said he was and saw what he said he saw. I am so grateful that I know that, and I'm so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who sends His spirit to remind me that I know it.

1 comment:

  1. oh Kaley, I love you! Im so glad you have a blog!! Thanks for this post! I loved that talk as well, I just hope and pray I can become better with reading the BOM! Its definitely a struggle of mine!

    ReplyDelete