Friday, July 5, 2013

Utah Trip: Part 3 - The Reunion


Our main reason for going to Utah this summer was for the Green Family Reunion - my mom's side. We get together every three years, and it's lately been in Utah since the largest majority of the family is concentrated there. It worked out well for me when I lived in Utah because I didn't have to travel, and this year it worked out well for me because I was able to visit other friends in Utah, too!
 
We had our reunion at Bear Lake in northern Utah, and even though it wasn't quite warm enough for lake activities, the view was gorgeous. I went on a walk/run each morning that we were there, and the scenery definitely made it worth it. 




We had this giant house to ourselves, which worked out really well because everyone was able to have their own space to retreat to (each room had a bathroom), but there was plenty of common space, a huge kitchen, a pool and hot tub, and a volleyball court. It was definitely the best place we've found so far. Unfortunately, Micah and I are single so we don't merit our own room. So rather than share a room with lots of little girls, we opted for trundle beds in a giant utility closet. It really wasn't too bad, except that there was no air so it got kinda stuffy at night. And yes, I do make my bed even when it's in a closet.
 
We had a talent show night, which ended up being really fun. Micah and I sang a song while my mom played, then I played and sang a song, and Dominika performed a song that also told the story of how she and Isaac met. This was her first time meeting most of my mom's family, so that was really fun for everyone to hear. Isaac and Thomas also showed some pictures from some projects they'd been working on.

Afterwards, everyone went to the kitchen for some snacks - which were mostly just leftovers from previous meals (which were all delicious. We seriously ate well.) Isaac wanted some Rice Krispies, but none of the bowls were big enough to fit his needs, so he just busted out a mixing bowl.

There was lots of playing the whole time - we had a ping pong tournament, we played dozens of games of volleyball, card games, board games...and everyone loved playing with the cutest 2 year-old at the party - Malcolm. Dominika also brought some props for a picture booth, which worked for planned and unplanned pictures.

We took pictures the last night we were all there. Since we were about to drop Thomas off at BYU to start school and football, we did a BYU theme for our immediate family.


Here's the whole clan that was there. We were missing a few people, but we really did have a big majority of the family! I'm really grateful to come from big families on both sides.

Holden had his 7th birthday while we were there, so we sang to him, gave him presents, and Isaac made Mississippi Mud Cake and Dominika made cupcakes.

On our way down into the valley from Bear Lake, we stopped to go to church at a random ward in Perry, then went to my friends the Zogmaisters' house for lunch. The Zogmaisters were my surrogate family while I lived in Utah, and I still feel so close to them. It was really fun for me to have my two families meet and spend time together. My dad's a great grandpa, even to kids who are not his grandkids - like Maijer.

That night we all gathered in Bountiful to have one final picnic meal that my Grandma Carole could also attend (she wasn't able to make the trip up to the lake). It was also Thomas' last night before school started. He rode down to Provo with VoNique and Jared, while my parents took Micah up to Logan for EFY, so it was Micah's last time seeing Thomas before we left to come home. Thomas gives her a hard time, but they really do get along pretty well, and I know she'll miss him a lot at home. She had a hard time saying goodbye. :)



1 comment:

  1. Cute pictures! I love Thomas' "photo-booth" pic, haha :) I'm so glad you got to come to the reunion. Good times.

    ReplyDelete