Sunday, June 10, 2012

It's been a few weeks since I left Utah and I'll admit, I'm starting to miss it. I really didn't think I would. I felt ready to move on and to do something new and meet new people. I still feel like I made the right choice, but I'm realizing that there are just a lot of great people in Utah and there are also some advantages to living in Utah, such as not hearing the F word twenty times a day, even in professional settings. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a culture that's a little more strict about what is and isn't appropriate.

My last few weeks before leaving Utah, I spent my time visiting lots of people and going to lots of Utah-specific restaurants.

The weekend before I left, I went up to Roy to visit my surrogate family, the Zogmaisters, who have been so good to me the past few years. I'm excited to be able to spend more time with my real family, but I will definitely miss this one.

I got to meet Joey and Michelle's newest little guy, Maijer. He's definitely an Ulm! (Also, doesn't my hair look hot in this picture? Chelle had just cut and styled it. I could never make it look like this on my own. The hair may or may not have been the reason I took this picture.)

Haizyn has always been a funny baby, but she has hit such a great stage. Her little voice is adorable and hilarious at the same time and I love talking to her.

 Saturday morning, Joey ran in the Ogden Half Marathon, so we went to support him. Having just run a half marathon a few weeks before, I felt especially proud of him. I know how much that sucks. My roommate Whitney also ran it, but she was too fast for me - she'd already finished by the time we got there.

Jaiger came out to support his dad and also to show off his guns.

That afternoon Grace, Livvy, and Taigon all graduated from preschool. The program they put on was so cute. They sang, danced, played instruments, and recited nursery rhymes.


 

 Haizyn really, really wanted to be involved.




That night we celebrated Michelle's 29th and final birthday.

The next week, Allie, Whitney, and I had a Bachelorette party. Allie and I got pizza from Slab Pizza (which was delicious!) then we all watched the season premiere of the Bachelorette. I've been watching it since then and it just isn't the same when I'm alone.

Whitney's activity that night was doing an application for the Mormon Bachelor. I don't even know if she ever got picked. I should ask her.

The next night, I met Whitney and Aubrey at JDawg's. That place is magical. It amazes me how they can turn a regular hot dog into a delectable treat. This may or may not have been my second hot dog that night....oops. Do you see why I haven't been doing my diet very well the past several weeks? It's hard to do when you're going to all the best restaurants!


The next night, a big group of us went to Brick Oven. Afterwards, Whitney, Whitney, Hailey, and I went to Kneader's to get lemon raspberry cupcakes. Whitney Ehlers had told us how amazing they were and I'll admit, they were pretty delicious.


Finally, my time in Utah culminated with a trip to the temple with Whitney and Hailey and then a visit to Happy Sumo for the most delicious food that has ever existed. We arrived kinda late, though they were still open, and the hostess told us they weren't seating anyone anymore. I seriously almost cried. This was what I'd been looking forward to for weeks. This was the one place I HAD to hit before I left Utah. She ever so kindly cleared a table for us so we could eat. Looking back, though, I'm realizing she had no right to deny us service when they were still open. I think she just didn't want to work anymore. To think I almost missed out on life-changing sushi, all because some girl wanted to go home early.

 I'm telling you. It's that good.

The very next morning, I set out for Arizona. I drove about twelve hours that day by myself. I was pretty proud of myself. I was able to stop in Monroe, Utah to visit my cousin Melissa and her kids. Then when I got to Arizona, I stayed with my friends Aubrey and Jason Gillespie who had moved from Utah just a few weeks earlier. They're great. The next morning I flew back to Indiana, spent a week there visiting my family and going to a four-day training for Teach For America. Then I came back to Arizona and started my five-week intense training we have here in Tempe. It's been a crazy week and I kind of hate a lot of it. But we're actually teaching starting tomorrow, and I have a feeling that will make it worth it. I love teaching and I know I will get so attached to these kids. I'm excited for this week!

2 comments:

  1. you look great in all these pictures. I envy your haircut and tan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Happy Sumo! My favorite place in Utah!! Yum! Im sad you left Utah! I know what its like to miss it! Im also sad that you wont be there when I go in 2 weeks :( Have fun in Indiana!

    ReplyDelete