Sunday, June 17, 2012

20 Days.

Right now, I'm in Tempe, Arizona in what I would label the most difficult experience I've been through. I hesitate to say that since my mission, and the MTC in particular, were extremely difficult. But at the MTC and in a mission there's the overwhelming power of the Spirit to get you through each day. Here, not so much. I do my best to bring the Spirit with me everywhere I go, but many of the people that surround me don't really create an atmosphere which is very conducive to the Spirit. Without that, it makes the experience even more difficult.

But. In 20 days, I will be done. I am so looking forward to the end, not just because it means the end of a time I'm not quite enjoying, but also because it means Road Trip of the Century will commence. (You can click on the picture to make it bigger.)



That's right, I'm driving back to Indiana from Arizona. My best travel buddy Jaime is flying down from Utah to help me, and I couldn't be more excited.

What makes this road trip cooler than all of the others that have occurred in the last hundred years? Our slogan for the trip: Why not?

We're coming within an hour or so of Mississippi and Alabama and neither of us have been, so we might as well just hit MS. Why not?

My family's performing in the Hill Cumorah pageant that week. We're already driving across the country...we could just drive up to New York. Why not?

I've never been to Michigan, so instead of coming back from New York through Pennsylvania and Ohio, we could go through Canada and Michigan. Why not?

The thing I'm most excited about for this trip, aside from spending time with my BFF and seeing seven states I've never been to, is the fact that we have no schedule. We've got 10 days to make this trip, so if we see something along the road that looks interesting, we can stop. If we're tired and want to sleep, we can stop. No one's telling us what to do.

We're trying to do this on a pretty tight budget, so we're looking for couches to crash on along the way. If you know of anyone on our projected path who wouldn't mind lending two very clean and respectful young ladies a couch and a shower for the night, you just let me know. They'll barely even know we're there.

Our estimated driving time as currently calculated by google maps: 58 hours. Why not?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like hell!! But I'm happy you're happy about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued you chose Alabama over Nashville... what are all the stops along the way? Having driven across the country more than 10 times... some of the most fun I've had, is looking up restaurants featured on the food network (like diners, drive ins and dives) near our destinations! It makes it much more fun than just hitting up subway. Also, it's ridiculous, but suprisingly fun to try to get a picture with every state sign.

    And if you wanted to skip the dreadfully hot, boring ;) deep south, you could come see Cary and I, we'd feed you and let you see NC, then your path up north could include, richmond, d.c., and NYC (nevermind that that would also include a lot of traffic congested cities)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roadtrips are the BEST! AH! Have so much fun. :) I checked your route, and I think you're just a tad too south for anyone I know along the way. Rats. But seriously have FUN!

    ReplyDelete