Wednesday, November 23, 2011

In our church, there are no paid clergymen. There are no paid positions. Everyone who serves in the church does so voluntarily and out of their own goodwill and choice. And everyone serves. Everyone has what's called a calling, or a position to serve in for an undetermined amount of time. Some callings last longer than others and some require more time, effort, and brainpower than others. All callings are important and almost all callings are temporary. So the leader of our congregation is only the leader for a few years, then someone else gets called and that former leader may become a teacher in the children's organization or the person who puts together the program for each Sunday service. It's a blessing to be able to contribute and I am so grateful for the things I have learned and for the talents I have developed through my callings.

In my last ward, I had my most favorite calling of all time: Sunday School teacher. Every other Sunday I had the opportunity to teach an hour-long class out of the scriptures to the other adults in our ward. This year, we're studying the New Testament and I loved spending time studying the life of our Savior. In May I was released from that calling and called into a leadership position in the women's organization. I bawled like a baby. Over a calling. It was so weird. I was just so sad to have to give up my teaching calling. I enjoyed serving with the women in our ward, though, and I still got to teach a little bit.

When I moved into this new ward (what we call each congregation, depending on your geographic location) I volunteered for the Sunday School calling again. And I got it! I was so pumped. Usually, you don't volunteer for callings; you are assigned it and you have the opportunity to accept it or reject it. It is generally understood, though, that no matter the calling, you accept it. I know that callings truly are inspired of the Lord and He assigns us to serve in certain positions because we have talents or skills to offer those we serve. I know He also sometimes calls us because there is something we need to learn. I felt a little bad for volunteering, like I was going behind the Lord's back, but I know He approves of the calling I have and I really do enjoy it.

A week and a half ago at church, I saw one of the Bishopric members (one of the leaders of our ward) in class and he asked to speak to me. I know what that means: new calling. He said I was going to be able to keep my teaching calling but He had another calling for me. He said the Bishopric had prayed about it and felt strongly that I needed to receive this additional calling. Now, before I tell you what it is, just remember what I said about how callings are inspired of God and He has something for us to learn or something for us to contribute. And also that we don't say no to callings.

He called me to be the activities committe co-chairperson.

If you know me at all, you know I'm not very social. I have lots of friends and I love spending time with them, but I'm not generally an attendee at planned activities. I like to meet people on my own time, on my own terms. I rarely go to activities. Now I'm in charge of planning and executing them. Awesome.

Obviously, there's something for me to learn here. That something is called humility. We'll see how it goes.

I guess it's not the worst calling I could imagine. He could have called me as a Family Home Evening group leader or the Ward Prayer coordinator. Nope. He gave that last one to my roommate. Suck-ah.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I was the activities co-chair in one of my BYU wards, and Kaley, it was my FAVORITE calling I ever had. (Well, besides missionary, natch...) I was the same as you- lots of friends, but not so loving the activities. Well, let me tell you, it was so much fun. That was my favorite ward and I think I grew so much from having to plan things for everyone, be in front of everyone all the time, etc. You will be great! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete