Friday, May 27, 2011

school politics

Remember how last month I graduated? But not really because I wasn't really graduating until August?

If you thought I was a fraud then, well....you're gonna think I'm worse. (umm...I couldn't think of anything else to say there.)

My final requirement (after the two classes I'm taking right now) is to do an internship teaching English. So I got a job at the MTC teaching English. I signed up for the internship credit but they won't give it to me because I haven't taken the internship class sessions. (First of all, who ever heard of internship classes? Hello, the internship is supposed to be work experience. If there's more you need to teach me, maybe you should've done that before the internship). The classes are offered this term but we're already too far into it. I couldn't sign up for them in time because in order to sign up for them, you have to have the internship set up already. Which I didn't until a couple of weeks ago. The classes aren't offered during summer term. It's kind of a long, complicated story and all the details would convince you even further that I'm the victim here. But in short, I can't count this as my internship and I now have to wait until the fall to get credit for my internship (which will be my experience in Spain). So I can't graduate until December. The kicker for me: international interns are exempt from the class sessions (since they physically cannot attend them). So in the end, I won't be attending the classes anyway, which is why they won't give me credit for it right now. So. Dumb.

I love BYU.

I'm applying for financial aid later today, though. Maybe I'll end up making money off these suckers.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, listen to why I didn't get credit for my internship: I applied for Washington Seminar and was not accepted--so I went on my merry way deciding that I would get an internship in DC on my own. So I got my internship and went to see what I could do to get credit. Well, you have to take classes through Washington Seminar. But you don't get any of the other perks (ie- a cheap place to live). So I said, "screw that." and opted to go without credit--only to find out later that SEVERAL people didn't even apply to Washington Seminar and got internships and THEN applied last minute and were still given a place to live. So basically, I didn't get a spot when I applied so that they could save spots for people who didn't apply at all!! After finding this out (and that I was too late to get in on the scam), I refused to give a dime to that program and didn't get any credit for my internship... which was fine because I had a ton of fun anyway!

    ReplyDelete