Tuesday, March 15, 2011

reception requirements

This past weekend, my friend Athena got married so Jaime, Whitney, April, and I went up to Midway to her reception. They had the reception at a resort up there that was really fancy and Athena looked gorgeous.


As weddings always do, however, it made me consider what I want at my wedding. I don't even have a boyfriend yet so right now, I can only imagine what I'll want at my wedding that will probably happen in no fewer than 5 years. My opinions on nearly everything always change: colors, flowers, type of reception, type of dress, bridesmaids or no, what temple. One thing that doesn't change for me: the food.

Food is the most important part of a wedding reception for me. Well, aside from the fact that two people have committed to each other forever; although, that's really more important for them than it is for me. So yeah, food's my number one. At my wedding, I've decided, I want to have food. Like real food. Like dinner. But not a sit-down, RSVP with your choice between filet mignon and smoked salmon, vested server bring the food to your namecarded table. Not that kind of dinner. More like, go through the line, choose what you want, but get enough food to fill you up. Another very important part of the food? Knowing what it is. It is very frustrating to me to go to receptions where the food looks all kinds of fancy but I have no idea what it is. So I don't eat it. Then I'm hungry. And I'm upset. If it's weird-looking, label it.

Anyway, this has brought me to this question: what's important to you?

Married friends, what is one thing that you are so glad you did at your wedding and what is one thing you would've changed? Or one thing you thought was important but realize now you should've put more time and money into something else?

To my still wishful friends (it's ok, I fall into this category, too), what is something that you're super deadset on doing or having for your wedding?

I love to go to receptions for 1)good food and wedding cake. I LOVE wedding cake! And also, receptions are generally fun and pretty and let's be serious, everyone likes things that are pretty. 2) I like to look at what people have done and get ideas for my own wedding, whenever that will be.

When it is finally my turn, I'll have had years of experience gathering ideas. It'll be the wedding of the century. You should mark your calendars. Just pretty generally. Like let's say sometime before 2020.

6 comments:

  1. K, I penciled it in! Just be sure not to skimp on the pictures! That doesn't mean you have to spend a lot of money, but just be sure that you've seen what kind of work that they do, and that you like it. Pictures are one of the only thinks that will last from the wedding...besides the marriage itself...hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The funny thing that happened when I was planning my wedding was that I was so happy, I didn't really care as much about the details. (Which was weird because I had A LOT of opinions before). I picked out colors, but they didn't work out--then it turned out way better! Really, the only thing that I didn't compromise was the location: in the temple. Everything else worked itself out perfectly on its own! (And with a lot of help from my mom... have your mom help you plan.)

    Oh, we had planned dancing... but we didn't get a DJ and decided to just put together a mix. Once that ended, we had an impromptu dance party with someone's ipod. Have dancing at your wedding. It was so fun that our families still talk about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK here's the deal... The ONLY thing you will have from your wedding after are the pictures. Yes, I am a little bias, but it's also the truth! However... I do disagree a little with the "you don't have to spend a lot" part of the first comment. Generally speaking, photographers that charge more do for a reason. They know more of what they are doing and are just better at what they do. It is money well spent. I feel so sad for people when they hire a full-time photographer who does their entire wedding for $500... bad choice. They don't care about YOUR wedding... you want one that cares about YOUR wedding. So, that's what I think!

    I want a backyard reception, or at least outdoors and have it be super casual. Your photographer will LOVE you if you do :) Indoor ones are the absolute worst. Especially in a cultural hall. Gross.

    I went to SO many weddings last year that I have a pretty strong opinion on them now.

    Oops!

    I'm done now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Darling! (it's been too long!) I couldn't help but comment because I also feel as if it has been wedding season for the last few YEARS, but I haven't had one yet!

    After attending so many different ceremonies and receptions, my take is that the most important thing is that it is a celebration of the bride and groom! There are lots of traditions that people seem to think they have to include, but when they have nothing to do with the couple, (at least for me) they feel awkward, forced, and too formal. The best ceremony I've been to included letters the MOH and BM wrote to the couple, and letters the B & G wrote to each other. It was sincere, lovely, and fit them perfectly. Their reception was good food, a beautiful location, and a huge dance party to the groom's father's jazz band! (and an ipod when they got tired, lol) She was a DIY bride who opted for no flowers (for budget), but very modern and classy decorations that were beautiful!

    Food? It's a celebration! so it should reflect who you are, what you love, and the type of experience you want to share with your loved ones who are there to support and celebrate your love. At least for me and Mark (my bf) food is a huge part of our relationship and what we love- so in my hypothetical future wedding to him ;) there is food that reflects the two of us, and food that reflects who we are together.

    I love keeping in touch with your blog- you are so much better at this than I am! I'll try to update mine soon so the few people who read it don't think I left the country ;)

    miss you!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved my wedding!!! I was totally in the bubble-zone so I dont remember half of what happened at my reception but I DO remember my food!!!! We had Bajio cater and it turned out amazing!!!!! I loved that (like you said) it was good food, people knew what it was and people loved it!! And it looked nice! It didnt look cheesy or anything like that!
    There is really nothing that I would change, other than the weather, I loved my colors, invitations, flowers, bridemaid dresses.. etc!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree- if you have money for one thing- spend it on the photography. So sad to have horrible pictures! I have friends that hate their pictures. That would be the worst. Love your dress. You won't eat much food, but I'm SURE you're wanting your guests to enjoy it, which is why you want yumminess. I definitely wouldn't splurge on food though- pictures are more important!

    Can't wait! Haha, laughed at Vo penciling it in. Because she probably actually did. I'm sure she put SOMETHING in her palm! :)

    ReplyDelete