Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Reasons

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it to go home for Christmas. Is it worth it to spend almost 400 big ones on a plane ticket out there then endure the dreaded time on the plane and in the airport? Is it worth it to take an entire week off knowing I'll have to work all day every day for the other week, essentially giving up any free time during my break? Is it worth it to use 5 of my precious PTO days going somewhere as non-exotic as Indiana? Yes, it is. For so many reasons. Well, about 16 of them:





















 
































I absolutely LOVED being home with my family for Christmas this year. Usually after about a week in Indiana, I'm ready to come home and get back to my life. This time, 8days was not enough. Here are a few of my favorite moments from the week:

1. Every time Nalon opened a gift, he would exclaim, "Just what I wanted!!!" Seriously, every time. I really think he would've said that even if he didn't know what it was. He is such a sweet, loving, cooperative, polite, and thoughtful little boy. He makes me feel the way an aunt should feel every time I see him.

2. Micah got a phone for Christmas, which really is just what she wanted. That's not funny, though. What was funny was when she opened it and started crying. I'm talkin' big, wet, legit tears rollin' down those cheeks. So.freaking.funny. I think she even surprised herself.

3. Of course a highlight of any visit to Indiana is The Big Cheese. This time I was only able to go twice but it was SO good both times. I even smuggled a sandwich onto the plane and brought it home for Jaime because she's been addicted ever since I introduced her to it a couple of years ago when she came out to visit. It is worth carrying 1600 miles on a plane. And of course, the girls that work in there always make me feel like a celebrity.

4. The second day I was there was Sunday so I went with my family to their ward. The youth did a really great Christmas program just for themselves, but I snuck in. Everyone participated, including my Thomas, who read a story, and Micah, who did a great rendition of Drummer Boy on her flute with the help of a boy in our ward on the snare drum. They did great and I was so proud of both of them! They can be pretty annoying sometimes, as little brothers and sisters can, but they really are two pretty fantastic teenagers. I loved watching them.

5. Most mornings, I started by doing a little Hip Hop Abs workout, and even though she was usually already dressed and ready for the day, my mom would usually join me! If you haven't ever heard of the DVDs or done one of the workouts, they're actually pretty fun. And I hadn't worked out for a while so it was fun to get moving again!

6. One night I got to stay up at my sister Tessa's house with four of my nieces and nephews. That night once the babies went to bed, I was treated to a delightful lip sync and dance performance by Jonah and Emerson. I took three videos but I haven't been able to upload videos on Blogger in the past, so if you want to see them, I'll post them on facebook. Jonah is very seriously into his performance, and Emerson is very seriously into making sure you are looking at her at all times. They're fun and I loved hanging out with them.

7. My mom, Tessa, and I had our traditional shopping and lunch day which was fabulous. We even did Cheesecake Factory on a budget! I always look forward to that day to get to hang out with two of my faves.

8. Umm...babies. They're cute. And fun. When I was at Tessa's, it took no time to get Cooper to like me and be willing to play with me; that's just how he is. Campbell, on the other hand, is much more wary. We got there at about 7 at night and it took until about 4 the next afternoon for her to actual laugh and play with me. She started slow, staring at me from across the room. Then she'd bring me a toy and walk away without playing with it with me. Then she'd come play by me but if I talked to her or tried to play with her, see ya. Finally, she came and would sit on my lap and engage with me and laugh when I tickled her. It was pretty rewarding. Unfortunately, all that was erased the next time I saw her. I guess it takes a while for her to remember that she trusts you. There is one picture, though, of her sitting on my lap. I had to get that picture because it was the only time she actually let me hold her without trying to get away. A Christmas miracle!

I'm very blessed to have a family that is always very excited for me to come home and who supports me from so far away. I'm also very lucky to be the aunt of the five cutest children on our dear planet Earth and surrogate-aunt to two others who are pretty darn cute, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment