Monday, November 8, 2010

In Other News

I have a few important thoughts I need to share today. These are not in any significant order.

1. Today it rained and it was cold. Boo. I hate both of those things. Not good for my Monday spirit.

2. I really hate when the right thing is not the most exciting thing. I hate it when I know I need to make a change, and I really, really don't want to do it.

3. This past weekend was the BEST food weekend! My friend Clint and I went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner on Saturday. Holy Delicious! Yes, that capital D is necessary. I got this chicken stuff for dinner, and it came out with 3 chicken breasts. They were thin, but still. That's a lot of poultry on my plate. I only ate 1 of them. And half of my mashed potatoes. But all of my asparagus! Don't worry, though, I still got cheesecake. I got the new one - Reese's cup chocolate cake something. I only ate like three bites because I was so full. Clint didn't seem to be having a hard time with his pumpkin cheesecake, though, so I asked him if he was going to eat it all right then. He said no. But he wasn't going to take it home. So I did! I came home with a box full of food, my nearly untouched cheesecake, and a third of his cheesecake!
The sad part of this night was that all my friends went to Texas Roadhouse to celebrate Mitch's birthday. I couldn't go, though, because I'd already made plans with Clint and, well, Mitch told me the day of. I was totally bummed, though, and I told Angela and Aubrey to bring me some rolls. So when I got home from the Cheesecake Factory, there was a box of 7 Roadhouse rolls on my bed! 7! Oh man. I was so excited to break my fast the next day. (This picture doesn't even make them look appetizing. But they're delicious. Just trust me.)


Jaime came over for dinner Sunday and we didn't even get to the cheesecake because all the leftovers were too much for even the two of us to eat! This morning I had a roll and pumpkin cheesecake for breakfast. :) I am very cheered by the knowledge that there's still delicious cheesecake in my fridge waiting for me.

4. My boss is a jerk. I pretty much yelled at him today. He pretty much yelled back. I think we're cool now, though. Except I still think he's a jerk.

5. When I got home from work, I was obviously not in a very spiritual mood because of the jerky boss situation. I went to FHE, though, and we talked about gratitude. I have realized something the last few days: I won't love any job until I get one that makes me feel like I'm actually using my talents. I hate my job. The focus is all on sales. Sales is not my talent. I can do it if I try. But that's the thing: I don't want to try. I just hate it; it's not what I'm good at. When I'm teaching my Sunday School lessons, though, I feel so happy, and I wish they could go on forever! I realized recently that it's because teaching is one of my talents, so I actually enjoy the work it takes to prepare. If I could get paid to teach Sunday School, I would LOVE my job. Alas, I cannot.

Anyway, the whole point of this thought is that I was so bugged coming home from work today because I hate my job. Then at FHE, I was forced to think of something I was grateful for. I decided I'm grateful for talents. Because when we are using them, it enables us to feel closer to our Heavenly Father. We can begin to see the divine potential within us because we are using the gifts He has given us. I am grateful for the opportunities I have to use my talents. And I can't wait to find a job that gives me that opportunity a lot more often than my current one does!

6. I have really great people in my life. My friends at the Omni, my friends at work (well my former work), mission friends, my family...there are so many people that make my life great. I'm really grateful that when I don't want to be alone, I have so many people I feel comfortable enough to turn to.

9 comments:

  1. What a great post! I want to go to the Cheesecake Factory! And I want to hear you teach! I need suggestions- I'm the new laurel teacher and I don't think I'm very good. Yikes. Good job being grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm...that was actually me. Lindsay. Lindsay Hibbert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaley, I loved this post! That picture of the rolls makes my mouth water...and don't worry, I couldn't be there that night either. Surprise, surprise. Also: you are a phenomenal teacher. I completely understand where you're coming from on the job issue, too. The tricky part is deciding which thing you enjoy doing will keep you interested enough to do it for eight hours a day, five days a week without it eventually driving you insane. :) Awesome, right? That's what I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you posted your blog on facebook so I can follow! I was at roadhouse and helped smuggle those rolls to you. I hope they were as delicious as in the restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaley I love you!! That's why we brought you those rolls :) you are the best sunday school teacher I have ever had the privilege to hear from. I love your lessons! And you are freaking hilarious in them. Also, loved the talents comments at fhe haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once, I asked the waiter to box up this pathetic little sliver of cheesecake (I wasn't even about to waste the last 2 bites)... and as he was bringing it back to the table, HE DROPPED IT!! I was sad at first until he said, "Ooh, sorry about that--I'll be right back." And he brought me A WHOLE NEW PIECE! That was easily one of the best things that ever happened to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already know you're a great teacher, but I'm going to have to come check out one of these Sunday School lessons. That food was delish! Thanks for sharing!
    P.S I had to change my profile pic before I posted this. That could have been embarrassing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Jaime, I mean Inigo, I am very disappointed you changed your profile picture.
    *Kat, I wish I were you. I need that experience.
    *Lindsay, I have no secrets. I just follow the book. Everyone thinks I'm all insightful when, in fact, everything I come up with comes from the manual. But I prepare way in advance so I have time to change things around if I change my mind. I do use lots and lots of testimony. I think that's the most powerful tool--then the Spirit has the opportunity to do all the work for you.
    *Karlie, I am grateful for your smuggling influence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. speaking of teaching... A couple weeks ago in Seminary we were doing section 42 and came to v 17 where it says if you don't have the spirit you shall not teach. So we were talking about the usual interpretation of that - that w/o the Spirit, your teaching won't be very good, and/or that learning probably won't take place, but Elder Holland said it sounds like a commandment to him - "thou shalt not teach" - so I asked my jrs and srs what I should do on those days (um, actually big parts of every day) when the Spirit isn't in our class, and they said "Don't teach." and I said "really? just stop?" and they said "yeah" and then one girl said, "but can you tell us the night before?" sigh

    ReplyDelete