Sunday, January 27, 2019

Resolutions 2018 Recap and New 2019 Resolutions

New Year, New Goals! It was a bit harder for me to decide on resolutions this year - I couldn't decide what I really cared about enough to set a goal for. I think I've found a few good ones, though, and no matter what happens, I'll come out better than I am now!

First, a recap of last year's goals:

Spiritual
1. Indexing once a month. Done! I actually have one month that I didn't mark, but sometimes I forget to mark things. So I'm going with yes. If not, I definitely did it 11 out of 12 months.
2. Attend the temple twice a month. Done (I think)! Again, I had a few months I think I forgot to mark, but this goal helped me get to the temple pretty regularly which I'm thankful for.
3. Memorize The Living Christ. Done! I had a plan that was going to help me get it memorized by Easter, but then I lost momentum. I picked it up by the end, though, and finished right before New Year's. Now this year I've just got to maintain it!
4. Do an act of kindness/service every month. Nope. I lost steam with this one after a few months. Of course I did do acts of kindness after that, but I stopped tracking it by June. 

Personal
1. Read all the books on my nightstandNo. I think I got through 5 or 6. I've realized this year that I really struggle with reading non-fiction books quickly. I just get bored and it takes me forever to get through them. Most of the ones I'd chosen for this were non-fiction, so that didn't help. I'm hoping to finish them this year. 
2. Blog twice a month. Done! This was a huge achievement for me and has helped me get caught up. I think there was one point this summer where I was actually completely caught up with the most recent pictures. Now I'm usually working a month or two behind but that's pretty good and definitely manageable.

Financial
1. Pay off debt and fund emergency savings account. Debt - done! We paid off our last debt in December, and it feels so good! We've started on the emergency fund but have a few months left in that. We did have a few unexpected setbacks that kept us from getting through the savings this year like we'd hoped, but I'm still incredibly proud of the progress we made and so grateful for the way the Lord has taken care of us and made this possible.

Physical
1. Lose 30 pounds. No. I did get 20 pounds off but I'm sure I've put a few back on over the holidays. My motivation has come and gone, but I also have found it's not as easy to lose weight now as it used to be. Age. :(



2019 Resolutions

1. Study “Come Follow Me” curriculum once a week. I'm hoping we'll be able to do this together each week, but I can at least do it myself if we aren't able to.
2. Get 25 blue dots in Weight Watchers app each month. I've been using Weight Watchers for a while and it works really well for me when I actually do it. I like the flexibility it offers. Within the app, you get a blue dot for each day you're within a target points range - a little above or a little below your daily allowance. My goal is to stay within that range at least 25 days of the month. It'll give me a few days of leeway but keep me on track for the most part.
3. Practice piano once a month. I don't have a piano at home anymore, but I teach seminary and can easily stay after to practice at the church, so I plan to do that once a month. I want to be able to play more hymns, so that's what I'll be focusing on.
4. Read with Jackson twice a month. I want to strengthen my relationship with Jackson, and reading together is something he usually gets excited about doing. I don't really read with him at all right now, since Brandon puts him to bed, so I want to make time for that twice a month. He's learning to read now, so maybe he'll be able to read to me, too.
5. Spend time with in-laws twice a month. I still don't feel very close to Brandon's family, and I want to change that. He sees them a lot, but I don't, so I want to make a point to spend time with them at least once a month to strengthen those relationships.
6. Keep a prayer journal. I've wanted to do this for a while, so I'm going to do it this year. Nothing too big - I just want to keep a journal by my bed and write down things I want to pray about. I feel like when it comes time to pray, it's often the same stuff and there are so many other things I care about and want to pray about. Hopefully this will help me keep my prayers more meaningful.
7. Save $17,000. We've got our debt done, so now we're looking to savings. We're hoping to get through our emergency fund and then start throwing money at retirement and a down payment for a house.
8. Go to the temple once a month alone and once a month with Brandon. Repeat goal but want to keep myself accountable - tracking it helps me make it happen.
9. Indexing/family history once a month. I haven't been doing a lot of family history because I'm so behind on temple ordinances, but I want to work that back in with my indexing this year.
10. Blog twice a month. It worked so well this past year, that I want to keep it up!

Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment