Sunday, September 9, 2018

Mom's 60th Birthday

My mom turned 60 this year, so we decided to do something special to celebrate her incredible life so far. Tessa and I planned a surprise party for her for local friends and family. We invited our out-of-town siblings to come, too, but understood that wouldn't really be possible for most of them.

Thomas and Madison quickly decided to come, since that was the time Thomas had off from football anyway, and was likely the only time they'd be able to come visit during the year. Then last minute, my dad decided to fly Micah out as well. 

We had originally planned to pick Thomas and Madison up from the airport Friday night (the party was Saturday) and just have them be at the party as a surprise. But then Micah booked the same flight as them and could only come for a couple of days, so we didn't want to waste a whole day of her being here without my mom knowing. 

So late Friday night, I picked the three of them up at the airport and brought them back to my house. On the way home from the temple, my dad told my mom he needed to come by our house to pay Brandon for some work he had done for him. When they walked in, Micah was sitting on the couch. It took a second to register, but then she squealed with excitement and hugged Micah. Then we had Thomas and Madison come out from the bathroom for a second-round surprise. I think this part of the surprise was my favorite part of it all. I was so antsy and excited waiting for the day to come, and I couldn't believe it all worked out so well without her knowing!

Saturday, I went down to my parents' house early to hang out with them while Micah was in town (she flew out the next morning). Thomas and my dad went to work and the ladies went to get pedicures. 


Then I stole away to meet Tessa at Mill Race Park to get things ready for the party. We told my mom we were all getting together for dinner downtown Columbus, but they detoured to the park where we were all waiting for her! She was not initially thrilled with the surprise of everyone knowing something she didn't know and walking into that kind of situation. But she hid her discomfort well and I think after the initial shock she enjoyed the opportunity to see friends and family. It was crazy hot that day, but fortunately we have extremely resourceful family members who brought lots of fans!


I've said it before and I'll say it again, Wal-Mart cake is BOMB. This cake was huge, but it was almost all gone by the end of the night!


Shoafs - Julius and Cammille and kids, Landon, and Crystal (she and Joel happened to be in the area, up from Kentucky, so were able to stop by!). We had many others there, but I didn't get photos of everyone.


Jordan, Stephanie, and Shaeli Shoaf with my dad


The cool kids table - Chase Spurling, Micah, Madison, Alisha, and Jonah


Steve, Teresa, and Tyler Vincent with Jacob and Mom


The Esseborns with the birthday girl. Brandon and Jackson were both not feeling well and, like I said, it was a million degrees, so they didn't stay long. But they brought the cake down, so they were the true guests of honor.


Our immediate family who was at the party - just missing Brandon and Jackson who had already left. We had our whole family there except for Isaac and family, who we missed very much! I really love these people and love any opportunity to get together with everyone.



We invited guests to send birthday notes ahead of time or fill them out at the party, then Tessa put them into a book for my mom. It was really touching to read such loving, thoughtful words from so many people. In her 60 years, my mom has done so much good and touched so many people's lives. I'm so grateful and feel incredibly privileged to be her daughter.



Happy Birthday to the best lady I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment