Sunday, May 20, 2018

Post-Holiday Family Time

The week between Christmas and New Year's is one of my favorite times - family is still around and most people are off work. This was my first year not working in a school with a guaranteed winter break, but because we work so much with teachers and no teachers are in school anyway, we all had the week off. 

Brandon was working with my dad on their house, so I decided to come down with him and hang out with the girls. Since he was working there the next day, too, we decided on a whim to stay overnight and hang out all together. It was so much fun!

The boys ripped up the tile floor and refinished the wood floors - Ephraim even helped!


The girls played games, went to see The Greatest Showman, and hung out.


Later that week, I met Micah and Emerson on the north side to see Pitch Perfect 3, then I went over to the temple. It snowed like crazy and it took me an hour a half to make a normally 35 minute drive, but I made it and it was so peaceful and beautiful.



My parents hosted their annual New Year's skating party on December 30th  - Jackson actually skated this year! He did a great job and kept trying in good spirits each time he fell.



On New Year's Eve, we hung out at home and had an incredible spread - pizza rolls, meatballs and Doritos. :) We had Jackson, so we celebrated early and had a sparkling grape juice toast before putting him to bed. I honestly can't even remember if Brandon and I stayed up until midnight. It was that exciting of a night.


For Brandon's birthday, he and I stayed the night at Story Inn in Brown County. The goal was to get a place with a private hot tub - he loves hot tubs, but doesn't like the people that are usually in them at hotels. The cabin we reserved had a private hot tub, but the water was scalding hot. We couldn't stay in it for more than a minute. Then in the morning, it had gotten so cold outside that our pipes froze and we had no water. They were able to move us to another room, but we never really got to enjoy the hot tub. Bummer.

Two years ago, on January 6th, 2016, Brandon and I went to Institute together then went to Monument Circle downtown and got hot chocolate and talked forever. It was that night that I knew I was going to marry him. Since then, we've made it a tradition to go on the same date on January 6th. This year it was on a weekend, so it was pretty busy and very cold, but we enjoyed the lights and I managed to drink my hot chocolate without severely burning my mouth (which I did the first time we went there).



No comments:

Post a Comment