Saturday, January 7, 2017

Wedding Part 1: Getting Ready and Family Portraits

June 3, 2016: Wedding Day!

Micah spent the night with me the night before and helped me get ready. Our photographer, Brittany Erwin, came over an hour or so early to take pictures while we got ready. Conveniently, my bedding at the time coordinated nicely with the color scheme of the wedding and she was able to use a lot of things just around my room to stage her photos of the rings, invitation, and jewelry. 


Brandon bought my ring from a friend of his at the auction and we got his online. He picked my ring out by himself, with some general ideas of what I liked, and he did a fabulous job. It's unique and beautiful, and I love wearing it.


My jewelry came from Kohl's and Burlington (my two favorite stores). And my shoes I think from Amazon. I was initially looking for gold shoes or some cool black-and-white patterned ones, but couldn't find any that I liked for a decent price. Of course right after the wedding, gold flats started popping up everywhere. It was the wrong time of year for flats, I guess - all the stores were all about sandals in June. The bouquet I made out of silk hydrangeas. 

My ultimate goal for our wedding theme and style was to be able to look at the photos in twenty, thirty, forty years and not cringe. Of course there will be some change in style over the years, but I wanted it to be classic, so we went for an Old Hollywood/Art Deco theme. For my hair and makeup we went simple and classic. And Micah graciously coordinated her getting-ready clothes so well. :)



Here she is applying my fake eyelashes...which I took off as soon as we got to the venue. I wore them the night before for our photos, but for some reason on wedding day they were bugging nonstop and I didn't want to be thinking about how annoying the eyelashes were when I should be thinking about how to get through the ceremony without crying (which didn't happen, BTW).








We got married at Valle Vista Golf Club in Greenwood, Indiana, and I really enjoyed working with them. Planning a wedding can be overwhelming and stressful, and they made it so much easier. I really didn't know much about all the decisions that go into planning a wedding - I've really only ever been to a few in my life - so there were several times when they asked me what I wanted in a specific situation and my answer was, "I don't know. What do people usually do?" I was so grateful to work with people who had been involved with hundreds of weddings and could give suggestions that I could then choose from. The grounds are beautiful, the service is fabulous, and the value is incredible.


We were provided with a newly renovated bridal suite to get ready in. Since I didn't have bridesmaids, my mom, sisters, and grandma were down there with me.





My Aunt Crystal made my dress for me and did an amazing job. She was able to help pull out the vision I had in my head for what I wanted and turn it into something real and beautiful.



This room was supposed to be girls-only, but somehow this little guy snuck in. :)





And here we are fixing the eyeliner after I took the falsies off. :)


If pulled the zipper of my dress down over my hips, it was reeeeeally hard to get back up, so whenever I took it off and put it back on I tried to just shimmy it over my hips without unzipping it all the way. Weellll....it ripped a little at the seam. But fortunately my mother is a magician and stitched that right back up.











Micah had to apply my lipstick because I am inept. Every time I tried to do it, I'd end up with it all over my face. This was not the first or last time someone did this for me that day.



Meanwhile, Brandon got ready upstairs in a not-as-fancy room by himself. :)



This man looks good in a suit. 




After we were ready, he and I were shuttled to their beautiful grounds for more photos.
























A little while later, all of my family joined us to do group photos.





The swans were kind enough to color coordinate, as well.


I was thrilled that my sweet grandma was even able to join us. And isn't she beautiful in her sassy animal print jacket?



My parents were the greatest support throughout the whole engagement and marriage process. They continue to be wonderful supporters and counselors. I don't know what I did to get such wonderful parents, but I am so grateful to have them by my side.






I love this family of mine.

I asked everyone to wear some sort of black and white, and I'm so glad I did! Everyone looks beautiful and the photos turned out so gorgeous! This is our whole Shoaf side now, except Jackson. On the left is my brother Isaac, his wife Dominika, and baby Ephraim, my grandma Elsie Shoaf, Jacob's wife Alisha, in front of her is Isaac's son Holden Ramsey, and in front of Jacob is his son Nalon. Next is my sister Micah, with Isaac's daughter Adelina in front of her. My mom, me, Brandon, and Tessa's son Cooper in front of him. Then my dad with my sister Tessa and Tessa's girls Campbell and Emerson in front of them, followed by Tessa's oldest son Jonah, and my brother Thomas.



We took photos with Brandon's family after the ceremony. I was thrilled they were able to come. We missed his dad and stepmom Angie.


Brandon is the oldest of three on his mom's side, and second of three on his dad's. On both sides, he's the only boy. He's a great brother and very supportive of all of his sisters.


Brandon's son, Jackson, is the oldest grandchild on his mom's side, followed by Brooklyn and Kevin's son, Bentley.



Brandon and all of his extended family that was there; His Aunt Dorothy Ramon (who goes by Tiger), his grandma Judy Callaway, grandpa Gary Calllaway, sister Elexis Passwaiter, mom Dawn Passwaiter, stepdad Robbie Passwaiter, brother-in-law Kevin Tharp and nephew Bentley Tharp, sister Brooklyn Callaway, cousins Nevaeh and Noah, aunt Chrissy Callaway, cousin Kayla Callaway and her boyfriend. And his son Jackson in the front.


Jackson was a trooper throughout the ceremony, but by the time photos came around he was pretty over it. He tried to smile, but it's hard to mask your dissatisfaction, despite the multiple people on the other side of the camera trying to make you laugh. :)




My niece Adelina was the flower girl and stole the show, as usual. She initially wasn't very interested in pictures after the ceremony, but she came around.


She has my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment