Sunday, January 24, 2016

Halloween

I used to hate Halloween. I don't like scary or creepy things and I don't like dressing up, so what's to like about Halloween? Other than the cute kids dressed up and the obvious abundance of chocolate, I could've easily put Halloween as my least-favorite holiday. Except maybe President's Day, although President's Day gets me out of work and Halloween doesn't offer that perk. 

The past couple of years, though, Halloween has become much more fun. We've started a safe trick-or-treat at school, where the kids get to come back to school in their costumes in the evening with their families and trick-or-treat to the teachers. It's so fun to see these sweet kids dressed up, and many of our staff members dress up as well. This year we even started a costume contest among the staff, with kids using loose change to vote for their favorite costume. The competition really amped up the level of creativity, and it was really fun to see everyone decked out. 

Kathleen Miller, our principal, as the mouse from "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." 

Ashley Whitaker and Lynn Jones

Emily Chestnut as Rosie the Riveter (my idea, thank you very much) and Amy Pellor

Our assistant principal Cody Stipes and Ashley and Kathleen with some of our students

Joel Collins and Jake Gregory

Ashley, Emily, and I and Jeremy Weimer (as the PRIDE stick - one of our behavior supports) and Stacie Stanley

The kindergarten team

Jessica Jones, Brittany Fike, Aaron Munson (and his kids Ben and Libby), Lexie Walters, and Elizabeth Eickholtz

Cody, Brandon Esselborn, and Kathleen

The whole staff. I love working with these people!

On Halloween night, my family gathered at Tessa's house which is becoming a Halloween tradition. We ate yummy food and the kids trick-or-treated. My mom and Tessa busted out some impressive food art skills, as usual. I think I brought toppings for mock tacos. So there's that.


Jacob and Alisha - she made her own Red Riding Hood costume!

Our trick-or-treaters: Campbell the Minion, Cooper the tiger, Emerson the rainbow, and Nalon the Batman. We missed Adelina and Holden! Jonah didn't dress up this year. I guess 14 is the age limit. :)

We celebrated Dad's birthday with green jello...which didn't set up very well. But he seemed happy with it!

And keeping with tradition, I conned Tessa's kids into helping me sort BoxTops for school. Busy hands are happy hands, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment