Sunday, April 12, 2015

Utah/San Francisco: Back to Utah

On the way back, we drove through northern California, stopped to sleep in Reno, Nevada, then continued home. The California part of the drive was beautiful! 

Nevada, not so much. The one cool thing about Nevada is that it's so dry and windy that there were tons of these little (or not so little) dust storms that would start up. Some looked like clouds, some like actual twisters. It was fascinating to look around and see as many as eight different dust clouds at once.


We got back Tuesday night just in time to grab sushi at Happy Sumo - my true happy place.

Over the next couple of days I hung out during the day while Jaime worked, then we played in the evenings. We went to see "Insurgent" and shopped for Angela's bridal shower.

Angela's sister Rachel had the shower at her house then several of us pitched in for food and games. It was adorable and ended up being really fun! I was excited to be able to be a part of it, even though I live so far away.

I love these best friends. We missed all our other friends who couldn't make it!

Friday Jaime and I met our friends Jayne Weaver and Whitney Ashby (and Whitney's sister Shawny) in Farmington for sushi. I'm so grateful to have so many wonderful friends!


My flight home was surprisingly good. I flew from Utah to Indiana, by way of Phoenix. On both of my flights, I had the privilege of sitting next to two different older couples - both of whom had been married for over 40 years. I was so inspired by their faith in and love of each other. I asked the first couple what had kept them in it for so long. The wife pointed to her husband and said, "Him." The husband said, "I made a promise." In General Conference the next day, I was taught again that marriage is God's creation and it was never meant to be temporary. I believe in marriage between a man and a woman as God's divinely created structure for his children to come into the world and be taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm grateful for the examples I've seen of faithful, committed marriages which inspire me to continue hoping for and seeking my own. It was a wonderful end to a wonderful trip!

I landed early Saturday morning - about 5:30 am - and had only slept for about an hour and a half, so I came home and slept most of the morning until Conference started. I managed to stay awake for both sessions - only dozing during the very last talk. I felt pretty proud of that! I'm glad I had a couple days home before I had to go to work, though. It was a wonderful and exhausting trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment