Sunday, December 8, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Our Thanksgiving was a little different this year. Thomas was in Utah, of course, because he had practice all week. His birthday was also on Thanksgiving, so my dad went out to spend a week with him. I think they both had a good time but we missed them. Tessa was working, and her kids were at Jon's house, so our numbers were limited. I wanted to invite the missionaries so I offered to host it at our house. I also volunteered to cook the turkey. I'm 28 now. It's time I become an adult and contribute something other than a salad. 

I was pretty nervous about the turkey, since I feel like there's a ton of pressure on how well the turkey turns out. I bought it a few days in advance, and I even remembered to take it out of the freezer the day before. Except I guess only one day isn't enough time to thaw a turkey. I wanted to brine it, though, so I did a bit of quick thawing, then I just brined it while it was half-frozen. I figured it may not have quite the same effect but it wouldn't hurt it.

 We didn't eat until dinnertime, and like I said Tessa and the kids were gone, so I cleaned that morning and enjoyed the calm before the storm. The problem when I clean is that I really like it to stay that way, so I have  a hard time letting go and letting things happen which naturally mess up a tidy house. Thanks to some very helpful missionaries who did ALL of our dishes after dinner, we got it pretty close to its original state.

My mom, Micah, Jacob, and Nalon came a bit early to hang out so we nibbled on some cheese dip and this adorable turkey veggie tray that my mom made.

Once I'd finished making the other dishes I was preparing, we also played Sorry Revenge, and I won. Both times. Nalon wasn't very happy, though. He cried like someone had just died. After dinner, we played Settlers and I won that, too. AND I won when my mom and I broke the wishbone later that night. I won everything that day!

 The turkey turned out delicious (though I can't say that looks very pretty).

Our spread was beautiful, though, and it made for a very colorful plate.

Before dinner, we played a thankful game that Dominika made up where we all tied a bow around something we're thankful for, to show that sometimes the things we're most grateful for don't come tied up in a bow. Everyone shared theirs - a mind to learn, voice to sing, heart to love, dad, mom, etc. Then Dominika tied hers around her belly and after a few guesses we realized what she was talking about: her baby! My mom and I immediately screamed, I think, and we all hugged her and Isaac. I cried, of course, because that's what I do. It was such an unexpected, happy surprise! She's due in July, I think, and we're all so, so excited. She and Isaac, and especially Holden, seem really happy. Isaac had called Thomas and my dad to facetime with us so they could hear the announcement, too.


Every day I'm most grateful for these 7 people, plus the 7 that weren't there that night. The closeness of my individual relationships with each of my family members has varied over the years, but we've got eternity together, and I'm grateful for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment