Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Resolutions, Friends, and Graduates

So...I didn't post at all in June. Yikes. I'll throw a ton of pictures at you from before my Utah trip, then I'll just have to throw a ton of pictures at you from the trip.
 
By way of New Year's Resolution reporting...so far I'm on track for most of them! My temple goal was to go every other month and to study specifically for the temple the week before I go. I haven't been as great about the studying part, but I have been going more than every other month. A few months ago, our branch president (the leader of my congregation at church) challenged us to go every month, so I've made that a priority. I can't say that I've had any exceptionally spiritual experiences, but I do get a lot of satisfaction from doing what I know I should be doing.
 
I also paid off my credit card! I got so excited about the low balance towards the end that I ended up paying more than I could afford just to see the balance go down. Then I had to put more stuff on my credit card because I hadn't left myself enough to live on. Oops. But it's down for real now, and it is so satisfying! 


The last few weeks of school were rough. Like really rough. The first semester of school was by far one of the hardest things I've ever done, but by second semester things had gotten a bit better and I was actually not hating my life. Then the last month of school happened. In the students' defense, we were testing for about four weeks straight, which is really tough for anyone, especially very social middle schoolers. They were over it, I was over it, and it was just a bad time for everyone. These McDonald's cookies were in order more than once, even when I had to wait twenty minutes in the drive-thru to get them.

I've been quite social lately. I'm pretty impressed with myself. The day before Memorial Day, I had some friends from my singles branch (the congregation I meet with) over to play games. These are the only two pictures I have from that night: brownies and Ron sleeping. Apparently it wasn't that exciting of a party. The brownies were a delicious breakfast the next day, though.

Here are some of my new (or renewed, in Crystal's case) friends: Crystal and Chris.

This girl's one of my best friends. After we took this picture, she looked at it and said, "I'm cute." True.

The second-to-last day of school was field day. Since our school has no sort of field, we took the kids to a park across town where they had basketball courts and volleyball courts and a pool. My job was to supervise the pool area while chatting with my teacher friends. Done.

The teacher friends: Amy, Rebecca, and Kelly. They made work less miserable a lot of the time.

And this is how they really are.

The first weekend of June was Thomas' graduation. WHAT?! I can't believe that he's that old already, although he is a giant so I guess it's not that hard to believe. The whole family came out for his graduation, which was fun, except the trying-to-keep-the-kids-nearly-silent-because-the-microphone-wasn't-very-loud part.
 
They mad the students give their gowns back before they could go out to take pictures. Weird, right? At least his tie matched his hat.

What a good-looking family I have! Of course these pictures were absolutely painful for Thomas.

 
Post-school lunch with the teacher friends before Rebecca went back to New York for the summer. Kelly insisted on going to an outdoor restaurant so she could bring her new puppy Admiral. I didn't touch him, obviously.

How cute is she? Like for real? She still uses her pacie when she goes to bed, and you can tell when she's sleepy: pacie in and rubbing her nose with her blankie. I think this day she even let me snuggle her. That's a big deal.

Summer's the best. Seriously. Teaching is the best job ever during June and July!

No comments:

Post a Comment