Monday, January 21, 2013

 
My friend Craig posted this on facebook today, and it hit me pretty hard:
 
"I said to my children, 'I'm going to work and do everything that I can do to see that you get a good education. I don't ever want you to forget that there are millions of God's children who will not and cannot get a good education, and I don't want you feeling that you are better than they are. For you will never be what you ought to be until they are what they ought to be."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
I sat here on my couch today, preparing a unit plan for my classes and then doing some reading about data analysis for my grad school class. All the while, I was thinking that this was not interesting at all to me, and I'd be happy when I could be done with it all.
 
After reading that quote, I realized that even if I do quit teaching after my two years, which I think is ok to do, I can never really be done with it all. It is still my moral obligation to ensure that those around me have the opportunity and future that a good education brings. Even if I'm not doing the teaching, I need to find another way to be involved in this movement which is so important, because I can never really become who I want to be if I neglect the needs of those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment