Monday, December 24, 2012

Our big family celebration is Christmas Eve instead of Christmas. Everyone comes over to my parents' house for a nice dinner with fancy Christmas dishes and sparkling grape juice. We've now gotten big enough that we don't all fit around my parents' giant dining room table, so we have a kids' table for the four older grandchildren. (I remember sitting at the kids' table at my grandparents' house for Thanksgiving. I loved spending time with my cousins.) After dinner, we do presents with Tessa and Isaac's families who won't be here Christmas morning. Maybe someday I'll have a reason to not be here on Christmas morning. Like maybe kids of my own or in-laws or something. Maybe.

This family time has become so precious to me over the last few years. I've grown to just really, really like my family. I like to be around them; I like to talk to them; I like to do just about anything with them. That love has grown since I've been back because I get to be around them more and also, well, they're the only friends that I have in this state. Fortunately, they're a pretty good group to fall back on.

Yesterday I went to church in my parents' ward, and I had the chance to sing a solo in their Sacrament Meeting. It was a genuine pleasure to sing about the Savior in a room filled with people who I love and who have loved me since I was a baby. I was filled with love as I looked at their faces, and talking to them afterwards allowed me to feel of their love for me.

In this season of love, the greatest love of all, though, is the love of our Heavenly Father, and our Savior Jesus Christ.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Greater man hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

The incredible gift of the Atonement of Jesus Christ came from both of them: God the Father, as He allowed His precious, perfect son to be brutally beaten, persecuted, and killed for the good of the rest of his children, and Christ, as He willingly gave everything He had so that we could have everything He had. Through his love and sacrifice, we have access to His peace.

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you... John 14:27

The song I sang yesterday was based on this famous verse in Isaiah: For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

In the song, the arranger added a few extra lines, expounded upon what those lines mean. One of the lines that hit me the most said, "And his name called be called Wonderful, for the world will be healed by his pow'r. He will be our unfailing counselor in each uncertain hour."

He is our wonderful and patient counselor, and through His love, we can and will be healed. That power is available to everyone, regardless of age, race, socioeconomic status, or background. There is never a too late or too far. His love is available to all.

This Christmas season, I am touched by the love of my family, and extended family, and most of all by the love of my Heavenly Father and my Savior, who have showered me with their love.







No comments:

Post a Comment