Sunday, April 3, 2011

faith, service, and the spirit

I know I kinda dropped a bomb the other day about moving to Spain. Hehe...that was on purpose.

I really don't have many more details than that, though. I'm going through a program run by the Spain Ministry of Education called North American Cultural Ambassadors. Basically, I'll be working in Spanish schools (specifically in Extremadura) teaching students about English and North American culture. That's all I know. When I know more, I'll tell you. I'm nervous. And scared. I think sometimes my heart and my head don't quite agree on things. For example, my head thinks I'm an adventurous world traveler. My heart quite enjoys being close to the people that I love. It's an inner-battle that I'm constantly engaged in. My head won out on this one. My heart is suffering. I'm sure I'll be ok. I usually am. My real reason for this post, though, is to tell you about what I've done all weekend. In our church, every April and every October we have what's called General Conference. It's a time when our living prophet, Thomas S. Monson, and other church leaders address the entire church, whether in person or over satellite, tv, radio, etc. It's a weekend full of spiritually uplifting music and messages - an invitation to live the higher law taught by Jesus Christ in the New Testament. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland gave a great talk about what General Conference is and why it's important. You can listen to it, and many other inspired and inspiring talks, by clicking here. If you're listening for his talk, it's at the end of the Sunday afternoon session. Some of my other favorites were President Dieter F. Uchtdorf and Elder Paul V. Johnson, both in the Sunday morning session, Elder Boyd K. Packer and Elder Russell M. Nelson in the Saturday afternoon session, and Elder Henry B. Eyring in the Saturday morning session.

I was able to attend the Saturday morning session in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City and it was a marvelous experience to see so many faithful people coming together in a united desire to better themselves and the world around them. I'm grateful to be a member of a church that emphasizes the importance of both having the unshakable faith in our Savior Jesus Christ and His inifinite Atonement as well as the diligent works we need to manifest that faith by keeping His commandments and serving those around us. I have felt His patient, never-ending love in my own life as I have fallen again and again and He has been there to lovingly help me as I pick myself back up again and return to Him for forgiveness and strength. He is the Savior of the world. Without Him, we can have faith in nothing, nor have hope in anything in the future. With Him, we can receive strength and comfort now and have faith and hope for deliverance from all of our trials in this life, whether self-inflicted or not, and eternal life in the life to come. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is His church on the earth today. He restored it through the prophet Joseph Smith and continues to guide it through His current prophet, Thomas S. Monson. Jesus Christ is at the head. I am forever grateful to know and have a personal relationship with my Savior and I'm grateful for the knowledge I have of His love for me and for all of us.

4 comments:

  1. VeNicia was at the Sunday morning session too! Did you see her among the thousands? I'm surprised at how often I've seen you among the thousands at BYU! So random! Thanks for this nice post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dang, you are going to spain? I'm so excited for you!!! That will be so cool. Cary told me it was an april fool's and then I thought you were a little cruel for getting me so excited.

    ReplyDelete