Friday, December 10, 2010

Idolatry

Here is my much-delayed post about one of the most amazing concerts ever.

Here's a true statement: I was supposed to be Sara Bareilles. There really has been some sort of mix-up. I was supposed to have her voice, her songwriting ability, her piano playing skills, her stage presence, and her job. She is who I was supposed to be. Except for the lack of the gospel, you know, whatever.

Anyway, when I can get over coveting everything she is, I love her. LOVE her. Her newest album, Kaleidoscope Heart, came out the beginning of October and I could not take it out of my car for almost two months. I have loved CDs before. But every time I even thought about taking this one out, I got sad. I used to sit in my car after arriving at my destination and I couldn't get out of my car because I was feelin my music too much. I would actually get excited to drive places, because it meant I could listen to it! If you know me very well, you know I hate driving, so that's a pretty big deal.

 
Sara came to Salt Lake November 17th, which is three days before my birthday. That is not a coincidence. I'm prety sure she planned it that way as a special birthday gift for me. It was a fabulous start to my birthday week (more on that in a future post). The concert was at In the Venue - the same place the Ingrid concert was. We got there a bit late (but still before Sara came out) so it was pretty packed when we walked in. I could see an open space a ways up so we squeezed our way through the crowd only to find that we weren't allowed to stand there because of some fire escape thing. (Umm...there was just a space in the middle of the crowd. That won't help in an emergency, fyi.) Determined to stay, we just squished all together so we weren't in the forbidden zone. Here we are all nice and snug: Jaime, me, Athena, Whitney, and Krysti. It was pretty tight but we were able to spread out a bit after the show actually started. I definitely kept getting pushed back by the girl in front of me, though. Her hair smelled good, though, so that was ok. Although I was so busy being bugged with her head in my face that I barely even got to enjoy my favorite song. Dumb. Don't be confused by the picture, though, the annoying girl in front of me was not Jaime, even though she is, in fact, in front of me in this picture. She is not annoying. I may have mentioned this previously, but Sara's freaking amazing. She's just so ding dang good. And fabulous. And fun. And also, good. Yeah, she'd just stand at her piano and play and sing and rock out. She barely even looked at it. And she's never had formal training. Umm...what? I have and I can't even play like that. Un.fair.






For those of you who are familiar with Sara's album "Kaleidoscope Heart," (If you're not, it's ok. It's never too late to repent.) the first song is a really sweet billion-part a capella song. She does all the parts on the track, but obviously in person, not even our very talented Sara can sing more than one part at a time. So instead, she just pulled out this accordion box thing. I have no idea what it is. I even looked it up and google failed me. But she rocked that box while singing unimaginable notes and rocking my socks off.




I have so many favorite songs of hers, but that night, I think her version of "Bottle It Up" took the cake. It's not even my favorite song, but she just rocked it and I loved it. Unfortunately, I didn't get a video of it. But I did get a video of her encore "Many the Miles," which was also beyond impressive. Except it won't load. So instead, I found you this sweet Beyonce cover that she did. She didn't do it at the concert, but she could've. She's that cool.


1 comment:

  1. Love Kaleidoscope heart. Love Sara. Would have loved to go to her concert.
    Hated the Beyonce cover. With a capital H.
    Still love you though.

    ReplyDelete