Friday, July 8, 2011

god be with you

My first district is in the process of leaving. I had two leave last week, three leave this week, and the final three leave next week. Monday was the last day for my three islander elders. In this picture they're the ones on the far left, third from left, and the one on the far right.


I feel like I've had a love-hate relationship with this district. Sometimes I have so loved being their teacher and sometimes it is so frustrating to have such a strong language and culture barrier. I really wasn't even sad about them all leaving. I was actually looking forward to a fresh start. I was surprised, then, at how sad it was to say goodbye to these three on Monday. I think it was because they were my favorite. They were the best workers, the most humble, and Elder To'ofohe-the one on the left- was the most fun. He's from Tonga and came with very little English, which was really hard. He's leaving now still not with much English, but he's a fun-loving, positive, really wonderful Elder and I already miss him in class. In the South Pacific, I guess it's a tradition that when someone comes to the island, they give them a flower lei; then when someone leaves, they give them a lei made of shells. These elders received all kinds of shell leis when they left so as parting gifts, they gave me several and Elder To'ofohe gave me a beautiful big shell and the wrap thing they wear...I don't know what it's called. But I was really touched. They're wonderful people and will be great missionaries. If you're ever in Washington D.C. or Omaha, Nebraska, look for these three! If you're ever in Las Vegas or Columbus, Ohio, look for the other three. They'll be there next week.

One thing I've learned from this experience is how infinite the Atonement of Jesus Christ is. It has been a much more difficult experience than I imagined it being. I had great visions of being an awesome teacher, giving them all kinds of spiritual experiences, and leaving work on a high every day. It hasn't been like that, and I don't think it's anyone's fault. Starting a mission is hard anyway- leaving behind your friends, family, and everything that's comfortable to come to this new, really strict, really difficult life. I experienced that myself when I was in the MTC. But add to that being completely immersed in a new culture and language from the very beginning and I can only imagine how hard it is for them. It's hard for me, too, because I prepare and I have these great lessons planned but they understand so little of it for a really long time. It's just really unfair.

Which brings me to the Atonement. There's a line in Preach My Gospel that says, "All that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ." That line helped me through a lot of things in my mission, and it's still helping me today. This situation is unfair. We're both trying, and we're both struggling so much to have a good experience. And we're doing it for God. You'd think it'd be easier. But it's not, because life isn't always easy. Sometimes even though both sides are trying to do the right thing, it's still hard; it's still unfair. But the Atonement of Jesus Christ covers that. He knows us both. He knows our hearts. He knows what we're trying to do. And He'll make up for it in the end. He will forgive us both for our moments of frustration and anger. He will give us both strength to keep going, even when we're not seeing the fruits of our labors. And He will ensure that someday those missionaries become the great missionaries He's called them to be. And all the effort we've both put in will be worth it. Because of Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. You are a great spirit led teacher! They are good missionaries and will always remember you. I'm excited for you to get a new district!

    ReplyDelete