Tuesday, July 5, 2011

a swingin' fourth

To celebrate the independence of our great nation, a few of my friends and I went down to Mona, Utah where they have some sort of pond that has some great rope swings rigged up to it. I'd never been before and had wanted to go so I was super excited. It did not disappoint.

Here's Adam getting ready to go.


Very focused.



Let's just stop for a moment and marvel at my amazing photography. Do you see how he's silhouetted against those clouds? Impressive stuff.


I was pretty nervous at first but then I just climbed right up there and went for it. It got easier the second and third times. I only ever went off the lowest platform, which was ok because I was still having fun. I don't need to push myself to dangerous heights just for the thrill. That's not necessary for fun.


Ok, so I'm not quite as graceful as Adam. And maybe every time I hit the water I got so much liquid up my nose that I came up sputtering. But that's ok. I'll work on it.


Here I am on video. Intense action right here, folks.


Next up was Angela. I think she may have actually gone before me. I can't remember. Anyway, she'd gone before and actually went off the higher one but this time she stuck to the lower platform like me. I also got a sweet vid of her.




Aubrey wasn't sure she even wanted to make the trip down to Mona in the first place. Then when we got there she wasn't sure if she wanted to actually go on the swing. We finally persuaded her to do it, though, and she admitted that she did, in fact, have fun.



Lovely background, right? I loved the scenery that accompanied our jumping jaunt in the water. Here's Braden:


I was supposed to get a shot of him in the air, too, but I missed him and ended up just getting the tree. Oops. Sorry there, French Brade. But just believe me, he actually did swing out. A few times. This is the lovely scenery I was talking about. Utah really is beautiful.


On the way back, we stopped at what seemed to be the only restaurant in Mona: Big Burger. It wasn't the cleanest. Well I guess it was the cleanest because it was the only. Under those terms, however, it could also be classified as the dirtiest. That's a dead fly stuck there between the glass and the menu. Yum.


The man running it was...Indian I think and had an awesome accent which Angela so righteously mocked to his face. It took about a half an hour to get our burgers and we realized that we'd ordered at the drive-up window...on foot. But when the burgs came, they were totally worth it. I was craving a little Big Burger today, as a matter of fact.


I had to work last night so I missed out on the 4th of July barbecue, but I was around for the fireworks show. We all pitched in and bought some fireworks and lit them ourselves. I generally don't like spending money on anything I can't eat, so I committed to only buying a firework that cost one dollar. I actually found one, and it was a great disappointment. But the fireworks my friends bought were much cooler and we enjoyed running around while holding them as they...umm...discharged? Is that the word for it? I've heard it's dangerous to hold them while they're going off but it was much more fun that way. We even relayed them for a while. I'm sorry I didn't have my camera for that part.

Happy Independence Day, everyone! God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment