Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Family Weekend 2014

This winter I was watching a video about a family who had spent a week at a lake, and they were talking about how much they loved being together and how their bonds had been strengthened. I decided it was time for us to start an annual tradition in our family. I pitched the idea to my family then researched a lot of places and found us this awesome lodge in southern Indiana on the Ohio River. We stayed for two nights and had a great time.

On the back there were two huge decks overlooking the river with five rocking chairs. We started a competition to see who could sit in a rocking chair the most over the course of the weekend, and I'm pretty sure Tessa won.



Dad brought fresh strawberries from Grandma's house

The only swimming available was a hot tub on the lower deck, since the river was pretty dirty.
The kids treated it just like a swimming pool.

Saturday afternoon we played badminton and volleyball and had a cartwheel contest. Dominika was killing it for being seven months pregnant.



Isaac

Jacob

Saturday night we had a fire and roasted marshmallows. I think this was most of the kids' favorite part of the weekend. We've got some pyromaniacs on our hands.




One of our favorite things to do was watch the boats and ships that went by on the river, especially the huge barges. This was especially fun when there was more than one barge at a time and they had to maneuver around each other. We decided this could very easily be turned into a reality show and it would be called "Barge Wars."* *trademark pending.


A sparkling end to a sparkling weekend.


Since this was our first time doing this, we spent some time at the end evaluating what we did and didn't like and what we would do differently next time. Overall, I was really happy with how well things turned out, and I think everyone had a great time. These are thirteen of my favorite people and I'm so happy I get to spend my life and eternity with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment