Sunday, September 22, 2013

Missionary Miracle

One of my New Year's Resolutions this year was to give a Book of Mormon away every month. That goal was an act of faith, considering I'd given probably five away in my whole life, aside from my mission. I've felt strongly the need for me to be more proactive about sharing the gospel, and this was the way I decided to do that this year.

So far, we've completed 8 months this year and I've given away 8 Books of Mormon. Don't be deceived, I missed one month, but I did give two out the next month. That was last month, and it was a miracle. I'll tell you about one of the books.

It was August 29th, and I had given no books out and had no prospects. I had one more day of work for the month and no plans to see anyone else on the weekend. I'm pretty open about my faith at work, so most of my co-workers know I'm Mormon and I felt like there wasn't anyone I could give a Book of Mormon to. I kneeled down at the end of the day and went pretty honestly to my Heavenly Father in prayer. I told Him that I'd felt inspired to set this goal, and that I'd already gotten behind in my resolution and the prospects for that month weren't look good. I explained that I really wanted to reach this goal but wasn't seeing a way to do it for that month. I then asked Him for help to find someone to give a book to in the next few days.

As I was monitoring the hall at school the next morning, a Social Studies teacher approached me, saying that he often had questions from students about Mormonism but wasn't always able to answer them. He asked if he could direct the students to me if they had questions. I agreed, of course. He then started asking me questions about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. I quickly offered him the extra copy of the Book of Mormon that I keep at work, and he accepted.

After he went back to his room, I quickly said a silent prayer of gratitude for such an obvious answer to a prayer. I did absolutely nothing but say a prayer and have a copy of the Book of Mormon on hand, and the Lord did the rest. I learned firsthand that this is His work, and if we're prepared, He will use us.

No comments:

Post a Comment