Friday, December 10, 2010

Birthday Weekend

My birthday should be a giant celebration lasting more than one day. I truly believe that.

When people ask me what my favorite holiday is, I usually say Christmas. I love Christmas. But if I were to be completely honest, I should probably say my favorite holiday is my birthday. It's just fun. I know I'm a little bit of an attention hog, but this isn't really just about everyone focusing on me. Because that's not why I like it. I think I like it because it's just fun. Parties, presents, lots of cake, friends... what's not to love? Oooh and surprises. I LOVE surprises!

Fortunately, I have fabulous friends and family who help make my birthday great. This year was no different. I was a little worried because Jaime was out of town for my birthday and she's usually the one that makes it a big deal. Probably because she understands how important it is (note for the future husband...no birthday celebration, no marriage.) I have some other pretty fab friends that totally pulled through, though.

This year, the week-long celebration started with the Sara Bareilles concert mentioned in the previous post. This may or may not have actually been part of my birthday. But I loved it, it was a celebration, and it was three days before my birthday, so I'm counting it.

The day before my birthday at work they bought me a cake, since I wasn't working on my birthday, thank goodness. Yum.

That night, several of my friends and I went to Red Lobster for dinner. Every time I go to Red Lobster, I feel like I should take advantage of the fact that it's a fish place and get something healthy. Instead, I get a combo plate that has fried coconut shrimp and shrimp linguine alfredo. It comes with a salad and a few florets of broccoli. Does that count for healthy? I don't care. It's good. Real good. Here's Aubrey, Angela, Cary, Carla, Cody, Sarah, me, Erik, and Mitch.


After dinner, we went back to the Omni and my still fabulous friends had cake and ice cream ready. Alecia made the cake (I know, it's beautiful. It was as good as it looks, too!) and some other people came by to say hello.



The next day, on my birthday, I woke up with a nice little surprise in my throat. That's it, it was an illness. That beloved illness has been my constant friend ever since, with the exception of a nice little 5 day break in the middle in which I thought it was gone but then it decided to come back to party. The more the merrier on a birthday, right? (That's 18 out of the last 25 days that I've been sick. Just in case you were wondering.) Fortunately, it wasn't too bad yet so I was still well enough to get up and go to breakfast with my dear friends Angela and Aubrey. We went to Magleby's fresh and I got some very delicious french toast which was covered in a buttermilk syrup, which may or may not have tasted like heaven on my plate.

Following breakfast, we headed on over to the intramural fields to watch our friends the Omni Warriors play some flag football. It was crazy windy and also very cold. That's why we're all wearing hoods. We're dedicated friends. Hooded: Aubrey, Carla, me, Sarah, Alaina, Lindie, Angela, and DeeAura. They ended up losing but there were about 3 near-fights which made it all worth it.

She's so pretty.

When I got home from the game, there was a mysterious bouquet of flowers and a candy apple on my counter. There was a card but it didn't have anything on it. Well...it turns out there was a message. It was just typed in teeny letters. Smart. My very best friend Jaime took the time to send me some beautiful flowers on my birthday since she couldn't be here herself! Then a few hours later, I got a surprise delivery of Argentine empanadas, also from Jaime. Yum. Thank you very much.

That night a bunch of people from my ward went to a BYU basketball game. Also not really for my birthday, but it happened on my birthday so I'm claiming it.

The next week, Jaime and I met in Salt Lake for our traditional birthday dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. It rocked my socks off, as usual. Then we topped it off by seeing the new Harry Potter movie, which, by the way, I really liked. I loved the books, but I'm not usually a fan of the movies. This one was fabulous.

I also got several cards and gifts from other friends and family members for my birthday which made me feel very loved! I'm grateful to be surrounded by fabulous people who enrich my life and make me happy. It's also pretty great that they recognize what a big deal I am. Here's to 25 more...

No comments:

Post a Comment